Restoration Advisory Committee Update – 1/23/2006
Work progresses and the documentation team continues to keep pace. The current focuses of the project are the roof (shingling), planning for the basement partitions, colonnade repairs and masonry repairs.
1797 Stair (M-106)
C. 1797 chair rail nailers have been partially uncovered for the stair. The nailers give us the approximate height of the stair railing and will help to reveal how the railing transitions at the landing and head of the stair.
Drawing Room Mantle (M-108)
Ray C. has finished prepping the elements of mantle that can be re-used. The broken hearth stone and lintel have been rejoined with threaded, stainless-steel rods anchored in thin set. We have also sent a scaled, full-sized photograph and acetate tracing of the top of the hearth stone to the quarry to see if they can find a dutchman that has a similar graining pattern. It sounds like a long shot, but Ray C. has faith that they can find something close. The graining on the replacement elements for the mantle itself are not as vital because we believe they were painted during the restoration period.
Nelly Kitchen (M-009)
The archaeologists have uncovered what might be the impressions left by cupboard legs in the Nelly Kitchen. The corresponding wall is still obscured with the remains of a plaster coat and we will need to clean the wall further to tell if the masonry has any related evidence.
Shingling continues and Peter P. has made the turn onto the portico (although he is only shingling the lower ¼ of the roof). While there is a large amount of culled material, the installed shingles look great and small issues are being resolved as they come up.
Repairs to the portico sill have also been made.
All of the framing is back in place and it is being prepped to receive the subfloor. The framing looks great and it’s almost a shame to cover up some of the well crafted repairs.
Nelly Chamber (M-118)
The paper backing from the linoleum is coming up without a problem (it turns out that water was the best solvent for the glue, which is helping to preserved any evidence of the floor’s finish). The floors have survived in great shape and consist of full width, clear heart pine that range (roughly) from 4” to 4-1/2”. The only area where the floors have been altered is around the hearth, which was made longer and narrower in (possibly) c. 1870.
The c. 1850 brackets were removed from the mantle, revealing what may be period paint and evidence for later (duPont period) renovations.