Some electrical trim out work continues but many of the major elements of HVAC/MEP system have been completed. The remaining finish work for the electrical, security and fire suppression systems will be completed as Wayne Mays and his crew finish plastering.
Tim Applying the Finish Coat in 200 Wayne Scratching the Plaster in 207
Plastering continues on the southern wall of 201 (large bedroom). The walls above the chair rail and the ceilings in M-205 (Upper North Passage) and M-206 (“Old Library”) are also receiving their scratch coat.
The ceilings in M-200 (Small Bedroom) and M-201 (Large Bedroom) have also been given a finish coat.
M-100 (North Wing Chamber)
Bill Bichell is installing the door jamb for the eastern exterior doorway. This door will access a small landing with a set of stairs leading down to the east lawn.
Keith Forry is also trimming the doorway between M-100 and M-102 (North Wing Passage). One leg of this door’s trim was cut down and reused by the duPonts and Keith is returning it to its original length.
M-102 (North Wing Passage)
Keith Forry has installed the door frame and the backband for the doorway between M-102 and M-100 (North Wing Chamber).
Austin Antrim has installed the frame for the door leading to the cellar.
M-104 (Mr. Madison’s Room)
Ed Gomez has installed the doorframe between M-104 and M-106 (North Passage). Austin Antrim is installing the door’s trim.
M-106 (North Passage)
Mac Ward has installed the first floor newel post and is in the process of installing the treads, risers and stair brackets for the period II stairs.
Slide show showing the process of installing the newel
M-109 (South Passage)
All of the Madison-era wainscot that was removed from this space during deconstruction has been returned to the south passage. This paneling, which dates to circa 1764, was reconfigured in both circa 1809 (during the third Madison era renovation) and in 1901 (during the duPont renovations). Using the surviving nail holes, Mark Wenger and Montpelier’s Jennifer Wilkoski have placed the wainscot back into its circa 1809 location.
The painters have started to paint the interior cornice of the colonnade. The color was determined by analyzing the surviving Madison-era paints.