The finished brown coat has been applied to the walls above the chair rail in M-205 (Upper North Passage). The scratch coat is also being applied below the chair rail in 207 (the Old Library).
M-100 (North Wing Chamber)
Austin Antrim is installing new baseboards where needed. The original baseboards on the east and south walls were removed during the duPont’s circa 1901 renovations and the baseboards on the north wall were removed when the two northern windows were infilled in circa 1850.
Keith Forry is also repairing the damage sections of Madison-era basecap.
M-104 (Mr. Madison’s Room)
Bill Bichell is trimming the east and north windows.
M-105 (Dining Room)
Ed Gomez is installing new baseboards and basecaps on the south and east walls.
Keith Forry has finished removing the paper backing from the floor.
M-208 (South Central Chamber)
Dino Copeland has started to prepare the trim in this room for painting.
Keith Forry has also replaced a small section of the window architrave in this room that was found to have been damaged by termites.
M-212 (Southwestern Chamber)
Dino Copeland has finished priming the wood work in this room. The next step will be to apply a traditional linseed-oil based paint that has been colored with hand-ground pigments. By using a hand-ground linseed-oil based paint we will be able to replicate the historic ropy texture, as well as the color, of the Madison-era trim finishes.
M-211 (Southeastern Chamber)
Dino Copeland has prepped and primed the woodwork. The shellac primer he is using is tinted with the restoration-era colors and so the chamber is starting to reveal its proper restoration period appearance. Shellac primer was specified because it can flow under any loose areas of paint and resecure them, allowing us to remove less of the trim’s historic finishes.
Les LaMois and Thomas Tyler are building board enclosures around the new HVAC duct chases that carry conditioned air to the first floor. While the chases where not there in Madison’s time, they are built with restoration period materials so that the new elements will not be conspicuous in the restored cellar.
Mac Ward is also installing trim on the windows in Nelly’s Kitchen (M-009). Madison trim survived for the west windows but the eastern window had been removed and so new trim has been milled.
Blaise Gaston has finished building the new sash for the portico lunette.
The masons (Wayne Mays and Mathew Lohmeyer) are starting to infill any low areas on the columns with a lime mortar to prepare them for stuccoing.
The masons have almost finished the brick retaining walls that lead to the north and south cellars.
Martin Roofing has also started to hang the brackets for the mansion’s gutters on the south end of the main block. These copper gutters were not found on the Mansion when Madison was alive, but are being added to help preserve the building by keeping water way from the foundation and walls.
The archaeologists are currently digging a site that they have determined to be James and Dolley’s trash midden. In the midden they found a small (1-3/4” x 7/8”), oblong brass ornament that appears to have either come from an architectural element or piece of furniture. If anyone has seen anything similar to this type of ornament in a circa 1800 building or piece of furniture, please contact us.