The masons are applying the brown coat to the walls and ceiling of M-100 (North Wing Chamber) and M-103 (Western North Wing Closet). They are also preparing M-104 (Madison’s Room) for plastering.
M-105 (Dining Room)
Ed Gomez has installed the remaining baseboard and chair rail. He has also started to install the chimney breast’s corner beads.
M-106 (North Passage)
Mac Ward has finished installing the baseboard and chair rail for this space.
M-112 (Old Dining Room)
Gene Lyman is re-installing the fluted pilasters that flank the fireplace. These pilasters were originally installed in circa 1765 and they have remained in M-112 throughout Montpelier’s multiple renovations. They were removed during the restoration because the nailers that secured the fireplace’s surround had come loose.
M-117 (South Wing Passage)
Keith Forry continues to install the door frames leading from this space into the south wing closets. Parts of the door trim for the interior of M-116 (East closet, South Wing) were re-used in a Montpelier farm building known as the “Laundry House.” These are some of the only pieces of Madison trim that we have found re-used outside of the Mansion.
M-118 (Nelly’s Chamber)
Bill Bichell has installed the legs for the doorway to M-116 (South Wing Passage). He is also installing the trim for the eastern window. The side pieces of trim for this window were found to have been re-used by the duPonts in their 1901 additions.
M-209 (Upper South Passage)
Dino Copeland is preparing this room for painting.